Sunday, July 19, 2009

Road Stops


Some days I feel like I'm in showbiz more than other days.

Right now, for example, I'm sitting in the downstairs green room of a burlesque club in downtown Portland, waiting for tonight's show to begin. About half and hour ago, I was climbing around on a Go Go platform, looking for a place to plug in my projector. We have to make tonight's set quick because the real show starts at 11:00 and my equipment will need to be off the platform by then.

We've been landed in Portland for the last three days, getting a little resting and relaxing in before turning south through California. In the week and a half before we hit Portland we drove across the country, singing (the band), drawing (me) and entertaining folks (all of us) from Pittsburgh to Spokane. If you haven't been following the story, it's all available on the Balthrop, Alabama Facebook page in glorious full-color photos and video.

Anyways, here in Portland, Shannon Busby loaned us a house she just bought. She hasn't moved in yet. So, we set up our air-mattresses, walked over to the Safeway a few blocks away and bought us some frozen lasagnas and Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Life on the road is really all about whatever the opposite of glamor is. That and doing your laundry when you can. But it's all worthwhile because we get to put on a show most every night and the folks who show up tell us they have a good time.

So, come see us in San Francisco or Atascadero or L.A. or Phoenix or Tucson or Albuquerque or Oklahoma City or Athens, Ohio. Check here for details.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Aurel said...

I just discovered your website and you art. I'm falling in love of your drawings. I like it very much !!
Sorry for my english, I'm from Paris :)
I try to draw in jazz club... I hope to meet you, one day, in Joe's Pub !
See you and your are welcome on my website too.
Bye!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Michael. I never got to tell you all thanks for the presents. Thanks! I wish I could have been around to spend more time with you, but the little bit was a great time. Ya'll are welcome back anytime, now with a couch and one lonely finely drawn picture on the wall!

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home