Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Let There Be Light


I've been the official rehearsal artist for Drama Dept. for a couple of years now. I'm not really sure what that means other than that I get to say that I'm the rehearsal artist for Drama Dept, and, historically speaking, that's a first. Aeschylus didn't have an official rehearsal artist and he was state-sponsored. I mean, the prestige is implied.

It's a good gig because it's a special company with funny, talented people and there are often free drinks and good appetizers served at the fund-raisers. And free Tupperware.

The project they've been working on lately is called The Cartells by Douglas Carter Beane and it's a ridiculously good deal for anyone looking for a rocking time on a Monday night. I mean, it's 35 bucks and you get Joanna Gleason, Elizabeth Berkley, David Rakoff, Kristen Schaal, and Alana O'Brien among many others. That Alana is especially difficult to draw by the way--she's got good curves and stuff, but I just can't get the face. I think I'm getting lost in the glow--what can I say? It happens when a legend is being a'born. And don't tell Equity, but I tried.

Equity, by the way, doesn't want me to draw the actors because they're working mostly for love and the free burgers and no one wants them exploited by an artist out to make a fast buck by posting their drawing on a blog.

So, this is Kirk Bookman, the lighting designer (with Julie Seitel), who I was drawing anyway because I'm a company man and Kirk is Drama Dept's go-to guy and I always look forward to talking to him over appetizers, free drinks and Tupperware.

Y'all should really come next Monday . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home