Saturday, May 07, 2011

The Reason


I moved to New York City a little over eleven years ago and have filled hundreds of notebooks with drawings in the time since. These notebooks sit in a locked cabinet in the studio I share with the photographers Allison Michael Orenstein and Bernie DeChant. They just sit there.

A few weeks back I saw a stop-motion animation for a song by the Yellowbirds called The Rest of My Life, made by the song's writer and Yellowbirds mastermind, Sam Cohen. I was knocked out by it and invited Sam to come by the studio and help himself to any of the drawings in my cabinet as source material for another video. He spent a couple of days going through my sketch books and I spent a couple of days scanning, printing, coloring and re-scanning and this video is what we came up with. It debuted today over at NPR and I couldn't be prouder and more excited about it.

It's funny timing really for this particular project. This period of drawing started when my Mom died and my life changed directions. It so happens that this weekend marks the twelfth anniversary of my mother's passing and so, I dedicate my portion of this work (as I often do) to my Mom as a Mother's Day present.

I miss you, Mom. This is what I've been up to since you left.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jonny said...

Why don't I visit your blog more often? It always makes me smile.

9:27 AM  
Anonymous Chimney Cleaning Davis said...

Nice post thanks for sharinng

4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home